Sandy Springs Garden Club has the distinction of being the oldest civic organization in Sandy Springs. The Club was founded in 1940. There were seventeen ladies present at that first meeting. Today we enjoy a membership numbering in excess of fifty dedicated women, all of whom love gardening and all things related.
The Club was admitted to the Garden Club of Georgia in 1942, and was incorporated as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization in 1985. The ensuing years have been filled with numerous projects supporting the Club’s mission “to stimulate among members the knowledge and love of gardening, protection of native trees, plants, birds, and the encouragement of civic plantings.” The Club has been closely connected with the Sandy Springs Historic Community Foundation (now Heritage Sandy Springs) since 1985 when the Club was instrumental in moving the Williams-Payne House to the grounds of the historic “Sandy Springs.”
Club members continue to maintain a memorial garden at the
Williams-Payne House, and, each Christmas season, decorate the House with natural materials that
would have been used in the late 1800’s. It is fitting that the Club’s ongoing activities
continue to support and enrich our lives as well as our community of Sandy Springs. As the Sandy
Springs Garden Club enters its 77th year we honor those members who have gone before us and we
devote ourselves to building on the rich legacy of our past.
Minnie Bob Campbell
Download a copy of the Sandy
Springs Garden Club Brochure